When it comes to complete dental care, patients will sometimes need to rely on a dental specialist. These doctors work within certain dental specialties, each treating a different part of your smile. Dr. Alok Sharda provides a wide range of comprehensive services at Sharda Family Dentistry. If you have any questions about our dentist or our dental services in Creedmoor, North Carolina, contact us at 919-528-9500.
Within dentistry, there are several specialties. A specialty is an area of dentistry that has been formally recognized by the American Dental Association® and requires additional education and training. While our dentist and team will do all we can to care for your smile, if your case is especially complex we may need to refer you to a dental specialist to ensure that you achieve optimal results. Based on your needs, we may refer you to:
- An endodontist, or a dentist who specializes in the study and treatment of the dental pulp. The dental pulp is the innermost layer of the tooth that includes the tooth’s living tissues.
- A periodontist, who focuses on the study and treatment of the periodontal (gum) tissues that surround and support the teeth.
- An orthodontist, who diagnoses, prevents and corrects abnormalities in how the teeth fit together.
- An oral and maxillofacial surgeon, who specializes in surgical treatments to address diseases, injuries and defects.
- A prosthodontist, or a dentist who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment planning, rehabilitation and maintenance of the oral function, health, appearance and comfort of patients with conditions associated with missing or deficient teeth and/or oral tissues.
- A pediatric dentist, who focuses on comprehensive oral healthcare for infants and children through adolescence.